JOG Week
 

Captain’s update 22nd April 2020

21 April 2020

As I sit at my desk thinking about JOG and all of you, it’s members, I realise just how well positioned we are, as a club, to deal with this international health and economic crisis. JOG carries no significant debt, runs no headquarters nor multiple employees relying on us for their wages. We have preserved sufficient resource over the years to cover, with some prudence, our costs until we resume racing, however long that may be away. 

The Flag Officers and Secretary had a video conference last night to consider the “state of the nation”. We continue to watch all the health commentary, guidance from the RYA and the actions from sailing clubs and associations, locally and worldwide. It is pretty obvious that opinion varies on the timing of any resumption to normality.  

JOG will resume racing when it is legally and socially  responsible. We have all the dates and programme in place and have the flexibility to substitute offshore to coastal racing and can reschedule lost races into our published race dates if that is a possible option. Indeed, we have looked at the viability of just running a Coastal series if that is the best option.  

We will be holding a conference call Committee meeting soon to continue with our planning options and our normal business. 

As your Captain, I promise that we will manage things as best we can. If you haven’t seen it on social media, we are trying out some “virtual” sailing on the net. If it’s supported, we will continue with this so that there is, at least, some member interaction. My thanks to Ross for organising and promotion! 

We are still looking at our AGM and ball arrangements, but we don’t expect to make any decisions for a while.  

We see other clubs announcing rearranged dates such as Cowes Week and the Round the Island Race. We definitely understand the financial challenges faced by the need to manage sponsors and the running of the clubs but, without those pressures, we are better placed to avoid committing prematurely to such announcements. We will keep our existing dates in place and will let you know as soon as we can see that it is safe to do so. We are as keen as everyone to go racing!  

We have already notified every race entrant that we have put in place a voucher credit so that entry fees can be used for the future but I reiterate that if personal circumstances dictate, the Secretary will have a sympathetic ear if refunds are needed. Finally, in this update, may I just wish you all well, keep safe and I’m at your call by email, as is our Secretary, even if you just want a chat. 

Dougie Leacy 

 

Please wait...